Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sleeping in skirts probably isn't the norm!

It's been getting pretty cold here lately, even during the day. But at nights it's getting hard to stay warm. I think I need to buy another blanket. Most nights I have been sleeping with a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, long pants, a long skirt over my pants, and socks. Oh, and I have my sheet and blanket. I feel bad for my roommate though, she came from Hawaii, and so she's freezing. She bundles up more than I do!

Speaking of my roommate, we got some new volunteers last week! We got two girls and a boy. They're awesome! I love how they all just jumped right into the projects. But now we have 16 people living in our house. It's filled to capacity! haha We had to buy more plates and bowls cause we didn't have enough. So we now have 13 girls and 3 boys. They are still really outnumbered! haha

This weekend we visited a community called Porcon to talk about setting up health screenings, business workshops, and health workshops. They were some of the nicest, most inviting people I have met here! After we set up a time to come again, they started showing us all the stuff the make to sell. They are some of the most talented artisans I have ever met. They knit, crochet and weave some of the beautiful and complex sweaters, ponchos, etc. that I have ever seen. It's crazy how much time and effort they put into their work, but how little they make off of them. Before they can start knitting or anything, they first have to hand spin and dye the wool. So we talked to them about working with an American company called Jane that will buy them for good, honest prices.


I can't wait to get started with the people of Porcon! They are such good people. Oh, they also fed us while we were there. They fed us corn and a type of root that kind of looks like a potato, but it's really bright. And they were so sweet! Much sweeter than sweet potatoes back home. 

I really love the people of Porcon. I just love the people of Peru! The people we have met in the campo (countryside) have all been so good to us. And we are supposed to be the ones helping them. But they are really helping me. Helping me to be a better person and to see what really matters in my life. I may not have the nicest things, but that's not what is important. Family and love for others is what is really important in this life. This is my last full week here in Peru, and I'm really sad about it. I wish I could stay longer. But I'm also curious to see how I will be back home. If I will be any different. I hope I have become a better person. I guess I will find out next week!

1 comment: