Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Just talking about the uterus

I have started teaching female reproductive health classes for the last little bit that I am here. And I absolutely love it! For those of you who don't know, I am pursuing a career in midwifery (delivering babies) so this was right up my alley! It amazes me how much the women up in the mountains don't know about their own bodies.

So I created a lesson, and one of the girls on our team, Christina, translated for me. It was so cool to see the women be so interested. And it was so much fun to answer any questions that they had. The lovely Julie Davidson took the picture below.


This workshop went so well, that we are coming up with other female health classes to teach. The lesson I taught covered female anatomy, personal hygiene, and the menstrual cycle. Other ideas for classes that we have are: cancers (they kept asking questions about that one), breastfeeding, female diseases and disorders, STI's, and menopause. 

At the end of the workshop, Christina and I explained to the women how important all this information is. Mamas need to know their bodies so they can stay healthy. They need to take care of themselves in order to be able to take care of their families and do what they need to do. I am so excited for the next workshops! It's gonna be so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment