Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I promise I don't sell blood!

Yesterday we had some more health screenings up in the mountains. I don't think I will ever get tired of the Andes. Some of it actually reminds me of Utah. It's kinda interesting. There are some valley areas where it's really flat and brown. But most of it is really green.


There was a little bit of a miscommunication yesterday for the health screenings. We thought we were doing them at a school, but apparently it was in a little building across from a school. But we didn't know that, so we sat on the grass of this school for at least an hour just waiting. But eventually, a man found us and took us to the right place. 

And then once we got everything set up, this one woman was really concerned. She was talking so fast that I couldn't understand her. So Christina started talking to her, and we had Julie go through all the stations so they could see what we would be doing. Afterwards, Christina explained to me that the woman thought we were trying to get their blood so we could sell it. I was not expecting that! haha That was definitely a new experience for me! I'm used to people not liking me cause I'm the one who pricks their fingers and stuff. But that was something else! But at the same time, you can't blame her. We are a bunch of Americans coming in and kinda telling them what to do and that we know better. So I definitely don't blame her for being apprehensive. We just need to make sure that we are taking the time to get to know them and develop their trust. We need them to know that we aren't barging in to hurt them, we want to help them. And sometimes there are miscommunications and things like this happen. But it's alright, it's all part of the process.

Have you ever seen the new Cinderella movie? I love how Cinderella tells us to "have courage, and be kind". I've definitely learned the importance of having courage and being kind while here in Peru. I have done lots of things that have required courage, but it is ever so important to also be kind. I've gotten out of my comfort zone with the intent of helping others. I've learned that once you get comfortable, you stop growing as a person. The only thing we should be comfortable with is being uncomfortable. Heavenly Father didn't put us on this earth to live and then leave as the same person. He put us here to grow and learn and become better. Take a risk! Grow! Try something new! Be uncomfortable! It might start a chain reaction of you becoming a better person than you were yesterday. What do you have to lose? If you fail, you learned something. So you didn't really fail. Now, go out and do some good! The world needs you. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment