Friday, June 17, 2016

I've been sick

Having a cold combined with the altitude that I'm at, isn't a good combination. I haven't left the house for a few days, so I've been working on stuff on my computer instead. For instance, I've been making lesson plans for health workshops. Today I'm planning on creating a schedule for the female reproductive health lessons, so that way, after I leave next week, the volunteers that are staying can still teach. I also need to make copies of my lessons. So even though I haven't left the house for a few days, I'm still working. It's just a little frustrating though, cause it's not how I planned to spend my last week here. But I guess I just have to make the most of it!

My team here is amazing! They've all been so wonderful to me while I've been sick! They've gotten me orange juice, given me back rubs, and so much more! I know that I have made some lifelong friends here in Peru. I will miss them so much when I go home and we all go our separate ways. But, I can't wait to see what's in store for everyone when they go home. I'm curious to see how everyone's lives will unfold after their experience in Peru.


Also, if anyone is interested, I know of a company that sells handcrafted artisan items from Guatemala. Delmi Co. sells ties made from corte, as well as bracelets, bags and purses. 



And if the artisans in Guatemala are anything like the artisans here in Peru, they could use some help. The artisans here in Peru get ripped off by local vendors who don't pay fairly for the time and effort that it takes to make their goods. It's heartbreaking to see them work so hard for their families, but still live in poverty. It's a vicious cycle that they can't get out of on their own. We work with artisans here in Peru to get their goods sent to the United States to be sold for fair, good prices. Just like what Delmi Co. is doing. Feel free to message Delmi Co. on their facebook page if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment