Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Dance parties are the best in the Andes!

I spent most of Saturday in the mountains. Peru never fails to impress me with its beauty.


We drove up to what felt like the tops of the mountains to a community called Combayo. We visited three blind children and one boy with autism. Each of the blind children sang a song for us. I had a hard time keeping my emotions in check. That was a powerful experience. After they sang, we sang I'm a Child of God in Spanish. That was definitely one of my favorite experiences here. Those people are so humble and kind. If I could have a fraction of the goodness they possess, I would be set for life.


After doing visits, we stopped by to see the Ventanillas de Otuzco. I don't know much about it, but I do know that they were tombs carved out from the mountainside. It's pretty cool! We had to hike up a bit to get to them. 






The rest of the pictures are from the drive home. It's kinda hard to take pictures in a moving van, but here's what I got! :) 






When we got home, we had about ten minutes to eat lunch, then it was out to the mountains again. This time we were doing health screenings in a community called Licliconga. The trip to Licliconga starts with a bus ride up the mountain as far as the bus can go. Then you have to hike down into a valley, and up the other side of the mountain. The hike takes about an hour. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the altitude. The altitude here still gets me.

After we finished the screenings, we had some extra time. So some of us girls started talking to some teenage girls. We ended up playing some music on a phone and it turned into a dance party. It was so fun! They girls would teach us how they dance, then we would teach them how we dance. There was a lot of giggling! It was probably the most fun I've had since being here! It's so cool to see even though we have a language barrier, we can still find something we can connect with. For us it was music and dancing. We sang songs, danced, and played games. I will always remember those girls. It's moments like that that remind me that everything I do here doesn't have to be serious. Sometimes just giggling with teenage girls is all that matters for that day. Spreading hope and happiness is just as important as health screenings and visiting kids with special needs. I wish I could do this for forever. I love it.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment