Tuesday, May 31, 2016

It's kinda hard to breathe at over 11,000 ft elevation

Yesterday we went to Cumbe Mayo! Cumbe Mayo is a man-made structure built by an advanced pre-Inca society. And holy cow it is way up in the mountains! It averages at over 11,000 feet in elevation. We took a tour bus up the mountain, and that was the roughest ride of my life! haha After we got there we hiked around with our tour guide. We loved our guide! He was hilarious! On the way up there he kept falling asleep. But he would wake up every few minutes to tell us some historical fact. It was so funny! But I'll tell you what, hiking around at that elevation is kinda hard. I didn't get altitude sickness or anything, it's just that my heart rate kept jumping up. And you get out of breath really easily.


Cumbe Mayo is famous for it's aqueducts. It's actually really cool to see all the math that they used to make the water flow with precision. And I hate math, so I was pretty impressed! haha They also have lots of petroglyphs and stone pillars.


This picture is of a table that the people used to do sacrifices on. If I remember right, they did animal sacrifices for the water god that they worshiped. The blood would run down the river and into the canal. They would then drink that water. 



It was such a fun little excursion, but I had a headache from hiking around so high up. After Cumbe Mayo, some of us did some grocery shopping. Which I am not a fan of shopping in general, but I don't mind having to only pay just over $10 for a week and half's worth of groceries. So that's awesome! After grocery shopping we took a trip to the hot springs again. I love that place! So relaxing! Well, I think that's it for today's post! Hope y'all have a good day today! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have been having a fantastic experience! Take more pictures. You won't regret it when you get home :)

    ReplyDelete