Friday, May 13, 2016

I'm lovin' it!

Well, day two was a success! Word of advice: exercising when you are at twice the elevation that you normally are makes it kinda hard to breathe. Cajamarca is at about 8,900 ft. So it just makes it a little hard to catch your breath for a minute. Don't worry Mom, I'm breathing just fine. :)

We started the day bright and early by going into the city to teach English classes. That was really fun, but pretty hard, too. My Spanish skills are next to nothing, so the language barrier was hard to get around. Gestures are my new best friend! I've decided that teaching English is an excellent way to learn Spanish!

Just a heads up: I'm going to be talking about the food A LOT. It is all just so stinkin' good! We went out for chifa for lunch today. Chifa is Peruvian and Chinese food mixed together. I got pollo de pina (chicken and pineapple) with limonada (lemonade). It was so yummy! I also really love granadilla. That stuff is so good, but so weird at the same time. I peeled about half of the peel off, poked a hole in the top, and squeezed the seeds out like a Go-Gurt. I think it tastes like Starbursts.


Granadilla

We also did some exploring around Cajamarca today. This city is seriously so beautiful. I love the mixture of the old and modern cultures. I love seeing at the street vendors and women carrying babies on their backs. Because of the elevation, it does get pretty cold at night. And since we don't have a heater in our house, last night I actually wore a skirt with my pants because I was so cold. During the day, the temperature is around 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit, and at night it is around 40ish degrees. I have been wearing a light jacket most of the time during the day.





I seriously love Peru! I just really know that this is where I am supposed to be right now. I am completely and thoroughly exhausted, but I am happy. So, so happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment