Friday, May 27, 2016

I have some catching up to do!

Man, I have some catching up to do! We have been so busy around here this last week. So here is what I have been doing the last few days!

This week we have started doing health screenings. That has been my favorite project so far! So far we have been screening mothers for signs of diabetes and high blood pressure. We take their BMI, blood pressure, and blood glucose. I get to prick people's fingers for the blood glucose test. I've decided that I like taking blood from people, it's fun! haha Anyways, after they have all the tests done, someone at the end explains what it all means, and if there is any indication that they should see a doctor. After the screenings are over, we do workshops with them. The workshops consist of how to prepare food in clean ways, how to get clean water, and learning about diabetes and hypertension. I love doing these health screenings!


Yesterday was such a fun day! It was a holiday, called Corpus Christi, here in Peru. So there was a fair going on in Cajamarca! We ran a booth with our partner Camina Conmigo. Our booth had food, balloon animals, and a photo booth. It was so fun! And I got to be in the sun all day and got a nice tan! haha I'm starting to look like your Mexican daughter, Mom! haha But seriously, it was so fun to be able to interact with the locals all day. Oh, and eating Peruvian food is always a plus too! I love the smell of street food. One of my favorite street foods is called anticuchos. I'll have to take a picture of it sometime. It's basically meat and potatoes on a kebab. I'll tell you what, Peruvians know how to cook meat! It's always perfect! I love having anticucho de pollo (chicken anitcuchos). So flippin' good!





I really wish that I had been able to take more pictures of the actual fair, especially all the bands. They were playing traditional Peruvian music. It was really fun to see the locals dance the Marinera. I would like to learn that one! If I remember right, it's a dance about a couple courting, and they use handkerchiefs as props. I loved to see the little girls all dressed up in their fancy dresses. They're just so cute! I'm seriously considering adopting a Peruvian someday, they're adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment