Saturday, May 28, 2016

So many blessings

Even though the public transportation here is really cheap, we still try to walk everywhere as much as we can. Yesterday, we walked to and from our health screenings, which takes about 45 minutes one way, if I remember right. We had quite the hike once we got out of the city. It was so beautiful! Emily Swain was very nice to let me use her picture on here. The view was seriously breathtaking!


I especially loved the women at yesterday's health screenings. They were so sweet and nice. It always surprises me though, how young some of the women are. Sometimes a mom and her daughter are both there with their own kids. Like, I will do a blood test on the mom while she is holding her baby, and then I will do a blood test on the daughter who is also holding her own baby. Those women work so hard. And they do it all with their babies on their backs. It's incredible what they do every day. 

There was a little girl at the last health screening who reminded me of myself when I was young. I'm guessing she was about ten-years-old. She basically stood next to me and just watched me prick everyone's fingers. I wish I could have given her a pair of gloves, but we have limited supplies, so I couldn't. It just reminded me of when I wanted to watch everything the nurse did. Anything medical-related fascinated me. It was just interesting and thought provoking to be on the other side. It made me wonder that if she wants to be a nurse, will she ever have the means to become one? She's living in a super rural area. Is she going to get pregnant as a teenager? Will that make it so she can never go to school and become a nurse if she wants to? It again made me realize how blessed I am. If I have the dream and drive to do something, I can do it. Nothing can hold me back but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment