Sunday, May 22, 2016

Lots going on lately!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! It's been pretty busy around here! Saturday was definitely the hardest, but best day I've had here. We got up early to go to the campo with Camina Conmigo again. It is still hard to see all of the poverty there. It's beautiful, but such a hard life. The women are fantastic. They work so hard.


We checked up on more kids with special needs while we were in the mountains. We went to some pretty remote places. It's crazy to think how the kids who are in wheelchairs, who even have wheelchairs, get around. We did some serious hiking to get to their houses.




I was so humbled on Saturday when we went to this one house in particular. It was this group of women all together with their kids who have special needs. After we chatted, and assessed the kids' needs, they told us that they were going to feed us. So they pulled out wood planks and buckets to make benches for us. They sat us all down and started serving us their food. There was about ten of us in total, and they gave each of us a heaping bowl of rice, quinoa, potatoes, and hen. After we all had our food, they started serving themselves. But instead of each person having their own bowl like us, each family had one bowl. So there was one bowl for at least four people. They were also eating with their fingers, because they had given all of their spoons to us to use. I have never felt so guilty in my life. I did not want to eat that food. But, to be respectful, I ate all that they gave me. Because, by feeding us, it is their way of saying thank you. Because there isn't really another way that they can thank us. That was really hard. So to say thank you for the food, we washed the dishes. 

There was this one little girl that stuck with me from that visit. I assumed that she was about five months old, but she is really two years old. Her head is really deformed, and has some sort of brain damage. She doesn't really talk or move, and her legs dangle. That little girl broke my heart. She made me think about why I am really here. I don't know if I will be able to really help her, or make her life better, but I can try. We don't know why she is the way she is. But it makes me think about blessed I am, that I come from where I do. I know that if something went wrong with my baby, I could easily take her to the hospital and get treatment. And she could live out the rest of her life as a healthy girl.

Again, I am so grateful for this experience. I have learned so much. I hope that I can one day be as wonderful and good as the people I meet. I love them so much.






1 comment:

  1. Doris and I are so happy to know your ok and that you are doing so many good works. We have read all you blogs so far. it looks awesomely awesome, I'm so jelious. Keep having fun, be safe, and keep us udated. oh take some pics of you out there. we love the pics but there is none of you. TTFN

    ReplyDelete