Monday, July 31, 2017

Why can't we be friends?

Sometimes I wonder why people can be just so darn mean. As missionaries, we get made fun of a lot. Normally it doesn't bother me a whole lot, because, unfortunately, I'm used to it. But this week I had just kind of had it. Especially when people go out of their way to be rude to us. Sometimes I just wish they knew just how much we go through to do what we are doing. I am not an idiot. I did not idiotically "sign up" to mindlessly wander through the streets of Spain and try to communicate to people in a language that is not my native tongue. I did not wish to wear down my body by being on my feet walking around for over 55 hours per week in humid 90° weather. I did not wish to be cat-called 158 times in 27 days. But, I did wish to help people come closer to their Savior, Jesus Christ. I did "sign up" for this. For the mission. And even though people can be rude, I don't have to be. It's not the end of the world when someone is mean or unkind. We just keep on going.

I've been thinking about a lesson I learned from my mom a lot, lately. I remember her telling me once, that when we were little kids, and we saw someone being mean on TV she would have us wag our little pointer finger at the TV and say, "No, no! That's not nice!" I'm very grateful for that little lesson I've learned on being nice. Just be nice.

As missionaries, people are always noticing us. We stand out a lot. And that's okay. It just reminds me that I really need to be sure to be the best representative of Christ that I can be. Or maybe even just the best representative of a human that I can be. I hope that makes sense...

Well, I'm going to sign off here. We had a busy, packed week. Full of sweat and happiness. I love you all! Thank you so much for your emails and support! Be good! And as Cinderella would say, "Have courage and be kind."

-Hermana Clark :)

Ps- I can't remember how Americans greet each other besides just a handshake. Do women give handshakes, too? It will be weird not giving people a kiss on both cheeks when I get back to America one day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment