Thursday, March 16, 2017

I'm a gypsy now!

Hello everyone! Well, this is the last time that I will write from the MTC! I will be taking a train to my mission in Barcelona on Tuesday. The train is one of those fancy bullet train things. We've been told that it goes like 160 mph and instead of taking 6 hours by car, it will only take us about 2.5 hours by train to go from Madrid to Barcelona. I'm suuuuper excited!! I can't wait! I love the MTC, but I am so excited to actually get to my mission and start to really feel like a missionary! So, just to explain how missions work a bit, I am in the Spain MTC in Madrid for six weeks learning Spanish and other stuff. But I will actually be serving in the Barcelona Mission. That includes Northern Spain. So in my mission are areas like San Sebastian, Valencia, Barcelona, Pamplona, and other cities. Anyway, after I leave the MTC, I go to the mission office in Barcelona for a couple days. There I will meet my Mission President and his wife, and I will receive my trainer (who I will be with for 12 weeks), and I will receive my first area that I will live in for at least 12 weeks. That area will be a city in Northern Spain. I can't wait to know where I am going!

Anyway, this week was pretty fun! Last week for p-day we went to a ton of places in Madrid. We went to El Palacio de Madrid (The Royal Palace of Madrid), a really cool cathedral, the Royal Gardens, we had really yummy gelato in the shape of a rose, a really famous statue of Don Quioxte, a mercado (market) where I bought a really pretty scarf, and some other places too. It was a super fun day!

One of my teachers, Hermana Notario, told me the other day that I look like the gypsy character Esmerelda from the Disney movie The Hunchback of Notre Dame. She told me that because I have dark hair, clear green eyes, tan skin, dark eyebrows, etc that I look Spanish. I was so happy that a Spaniard thinks that I look Spanish! So it's official! I can now officially say that I look Spanish because a Spaniard told me so! haha

So here we do something called SYL (speak your language). Normally we have to speak only Spanish everyday from like 8am-4pm or something. But all this week we have to speak only Spanish from 8am-9pm. My brain has never been so confused haha. It's really hard, but it has been super helpful.

This week I finished reading the Book of Mormon! President challenged us all to read the Book of Mormom in our native language before we left the MTC. I have never understood so much of the Book of Mormom before! It's awesome! Next my goal is to read it in Spanish! I also brought a Book of Mormon in Catalan with me, so maybe I will try to learn Catalan someday haha.

Oh, we also got five more Russian learning missionaries this week. Four sisters and one elder. They've only been here for a day, but they are awesome! I'm excited to get to know them a little bit before I leave next week! So I won't be writing again until Monday the 27th. That's when my next p-day is. So y'all won't be hearing from me again until then. From now on my p-days will be every Monday instead of every Thursday. So yep! Thanks again everyone for all your emails, love and support! I love you all! Nos vemos!

-Hermana Clark :)

No comments:

Post a Comment