Tuesday, April 4, 2017

I kinda live in the ghetto

Hello all!

Things are going great here in Hospitalet! I'm not sure if I already said so, but before I got assigned to this area, I felt that I was going to be assigned to Barcelona, but only the office missionaries get assigned to Barcelona. But, Hospitalet is the area right next to it, so in a way I guessed right :)

I had my very first baptism in the mission! It was such an amazing experience! We will call her Yasseña just for privacy reasons for my blog :) But anyways, Yasseña is 17 years old. She was about halfway through all the lessons when I arrived, so I got to help teach her quite a bit. We saw her everyday last week. But her baptism on Saturday was so beautiful! She is the first person in her family to join the church. They are from Ecuador, by the way. But her whole family was crying, and after her baptism her mom came up to us and told us that she wants to be baptized too! We were so shocked! So we're working on that now! :) Missionary work is so wonderful!

So Hospitalet is the second most "ghetto" area in the mission. There are some areas that we aren't allowed to go to at night for our safety. Some really interesting things happen though in this area... haha Like the other day we went to a lesson, and when our investigator open the door he was completely and utterly naked. We were just like, "Uhhhhh... Is there another woman here?" And he said that he was just at home with his son. So we quickly made an appointment for another day and left. Later he texted us and told us that his wife doesn't want to investigate the church, but maybe in the future. We were just laughing about the whole thing all day haha. Europeans are different from Americans when summer comes haha.

Fun fact: I live in an area of Spain called Catalunya, and so there is another language here. It's called Catalan. All metro stops and most signs (street signs, resturant signs, store signs, etc) are in Catalan, not Spanish. There are some ways that it's kind of similar to Spanish, but not really... And you hear people speak Catalan a lot. So that's fun! I know a couple basic phrases in Catalan, but that's it. But it does make some things confusing, cause I have a really hard time pronouncing the metro stops haha.

The other day we were running to catch the metro after preparation day (we had played volleyball and stuff with our district) and I tripped and fell down so bad haha. My knees are really purple and my scab still bleeds sometimes, but it's okay! We laughed a lot when I fell haha

We were able to watch most of General Conference this weekend. General Conference is when we have the opportunity to listen to our prophets and apostles speak. Because of the time difference, we watched the Saturday Morning Session on Saturday night, and then the Sat Afternoon Session on Sunday morning, and the Sunday Morning Session on Sunday night. We have to read the Sunday Afternoon Session on our own time another day. We were also able to set up a TV upstairs in the church so all of us American missionaries could watch in English. So that was super nice! I just loved being able to watch conference though! It's true when people say it is so much better in the mission! 

Also, I would like to take a moment and thank my brother Cade for helping me so much with my Spanish before I left. Thank you for helping me translate my testimony into Spanish, because that's what I have to hold onto when I have no idea what is going on and my brain is having a hard time thinking of what to say. But really, just thank you for all of your mini Spanish lessons, it's all starting to make sense now what you said. There are so many times that I have been thankful for that. So thank you, Cade :)

Well, I just love it here! Missionary work is amazing and wonderful! It's hard and you get rejected a lot, but it's alright! I love how I have been able to meet so mang different people from so many different places and countries. I have learned so much here. There are good people everywhere. Well, I think that's it for today! I love you all! And Heavenly Father loves you too! Nos vemos!

-Hermana Clark

Ps-I counted the other day when we were visiting a lady in her piso (apartment) and we had to climb up 12 flights of stairs. Yes. 12. My legs are super buff now haha


No comments:

Post a Comment