Tuesday, July 12, 2016

When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.

I've been home from Peru for almost 3 weeks now, and I feel adjusted back to normal life. I really underestimated how hard it would be coming home. In some ways it has been harder being home than being in Peru. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but I feel adjusted back to American culture now.

Last week, I went up to Snow Basin at three in the morning with my brother, Cade. He has been getting into astrophotography lately.


It was so cool to be able to see the Milky Way with your eyes. Man, the heavens are so beautiful. It was nice to be able to just look at the stars for a couple of hours. I was able to just think for awhile. 

There is a Persian Proverb that I like that says, "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." Being home has been kinda depressing. There is a sort of "let down" when you come home from such an amazing experience. In some ways it feels like the things you are doing at home, aren't as important or as good as what you were doing while you were away. I loved what I did in Peru, and it was depressing to come home. But then I realized that there is so much good I can being doing at home, too. And it's not going to be like what I did in Peru, but it's still good and worthwhile. 

"It is vital that we serve each other... so often, our acts of service consist of simple encouragement or of giving...help with mundane tasks, but what glorious consequences can flow...from small but deliberate deeds."
-Spencer W. Kimball

Things got kinda dark when I came home, but it helped me to be able to see the stars. To see that what I did in Peru doesn't have to stay in Peru. In fact, it should follow me everywhere. I won't serve in the same way as in Peru, but any and all service is worthwhile. So when it gets dark, remember to see the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment