Monday, July 25, 2016

Peru in Utah

I really miss Peru, and so when I heard that there was going to be a Peruvian Festival in Salt Lake City, Utah, I told my mom that not going isn't an option. We HAD to go! The whole way there I was squealing and bouncing in my seat. To say that I was excited is an understatement! haha

When we got to the Gateway, it felt like coming home to hear everyone speaking Spanish and to hear all the Latin music. Mom and I wandered around for a bit, then we decided to get some Peruvian food! To be honest, I was most excited to just eat Peruvian food. haha


Mom and I shared a meal of anticuchos con choclo y papa (skewered cow heart with corn and potatoes). Anticuchos was my favorite food while I was in Perú, so I was pretty darn excited to be eating them again!



I was really in heaven with all the music, Spanish, and smell of street food. After we ate, we wandered around for a bit looking at all the vendors. I got a really cool picture of Christ at Machu Picchu. But other than that, I didn't buy anything. 

We then met up with Mom's friend Gisella, who is actually from Perú. So that was fun to talk to her about Perú stuff. We all then found some seats and watched the dancers. I was really excited to watch the Marinera Norteña. That was my favorite dance that I saw while I was in Perú. It was hard to get a good picture, so this is the best one I got.


One of the vendors had jugo de maracuya (passion fruit juice), which was my favorite drink. So I was also really excited about that! And of course we got Inca Kola. I've always thought that Inca Kola tastes like pineapple bubblegum. So I got a couple to take home with me.


I guess you could say that I was pretty much there for the food, because I also got picarones. They're kinda like fried donuts, but way better than donuts! They are soooo good! 


All in all, it was a really good day! I ate so much food that I felt a little sick, but it was so worth it! More than worth it! It was also fun to be able to use my Spanish again. As limited as it is. Thank you Mom for coming with me and letting me talk your ear off about everything Peruvian. It was nice to be able to experience a bit of the culture again. It's as close as I can get to Perú right now. Because I do plan on going back someday! ¡Te amo Perú!

No comments:

Post a Comment